Brewing and beer is just as important to the fabric of Melbourne as footy and live music. Due to the sheer number of breweries that could be found in Melbourne during the 19th century, the city quickly became known as Australia’s beer capital. So great was Melbourne’s love for beer that the city’s first elected mayor was even a brewer. While only a few of the historical breweries remain, the number of small breweries that have sprung up over the last decade has once again made Melbourne a city dedicated to beer.
This has even lead to some calling Melbourne one of the top destinations in the world for beer lovers, proving that Melbourne is not only Australia’s beer capital, but also one of the world’s.
Example Tour Itinerary
11am Pick-up at St. Pauls Cathedral (opposite Fed Square)
Stop 1 – Dainton Family Brewery
A family affair through and though. Started by father and son duo Kevin and Dan, these guys are all about pushing out wickedly delicious craft beers to the people. After spending years gypsy brewing their beers all across Victoria, the Dainton family finally found a home and Melbourne’s south-east has never been the same.
Stop 2 & Lunch – Bad Shepherd Brewery
One-part micro-brewery, one-part BBQ smokehouse, all parts delicious! Bad Shepherd is impressing taste-buds across Melbourne. Started by husband and wife team Diti and Dereck, this micro-brewery is sure to satisfy those who crave a well-made craft beer to go with their slow cooked food. Trust them when they say they want to lead you into temptation!
Stop 3 – Boatrocker Brewing Co
Boatrocker has achieved widespread acclaim for their fantastic brews (they were 2018’s Champion Medium Independent Brewery) and have proven themselves to be not just a brewery to watch, but also one to visit. Their freshly built barrel room is the first of its kind open to the Australian public and offers a close encounter with a different side of beer making – barrel aging. Here 150 barrels (and growing) are used by the master brewers to create exciting beer styles that impress the palate with a range of flavours not found in most brews.
Drop off: Location of your choice.
The Minor Details
- We recommend you indulge in a big breakfast before touring as a beer or two on an empty stomach is never a good thing.
- Due to the nature of beer tasting and Melbourne Brewery Tour’s relaxed nature, we don’t run military precise tours, rather we have an organic tour where you can buy an extra beer or ask 1001 questions to the brewer. That’s why we don’t have exact times on our Itinerary.
- Please note that you will be visiting work sites and must under law wear wear closed-top shoes (no thongs or sandals) as a safety requirement.
- Our price includes everything – tasting sessions, a gourmet lunch, transport & guide. Should you wish to purchase extra beer along the way, make sure you bring some cash.
- Drinking beer by yourself can be harmful to your social skills, so our minimum number when booking is 8 people. Should you have less then 8 people, please contact us for a revised price.
- Due to popularity, Melbourne Brewery Tours are in high demand, so please ensure you book early to avoid disappointment.
Pick Up Locations
St. Pauls Cathedral (opposite Federation Square) or another agreed CBD location.